Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Tale of:the Missed Flight

Today, Wonder Woman has let me down. For those who don't know, the only thing that can wake me up in the morning, is the themetune to that classic 70's show "Wonder Woman", which blares out of my mobile phone every morning. This morning, somehow, I completely missed her and her "satin tights", and instead of waking up at 5:15am, I woke naturally at 6:30am. Yikes! I had never had such a quick shower in my life! Luckily I had already packed, and just had to grab my bag and run out the door. Stanstead Airport however, is not so easy to get to, and it took me roughly 2 hours to get there. Being the eternal optimist that I am, I thought that I could still make the flight, so I jumped to the head of a check-in counter, hoping against all hope, but as the title of this blog entry gives away, I missed it. In fact, by the time I had gotten to the counter, the flight was due to leave in 3 minutes. Still, I could have made it if they'd let me. Security only takes one minute, right?

So, I am standing at an internt booth now (yes, standing), punching away at these strangely heavily weighted keys, giving my fingers a workout. I did manage to get a later flight to Rome, so all is not lost. I have learned that the price of optimism is a cranked-up credit card after all. Well, I was expecting an adventure, right?

Thanks to everybody for my birthday wishes by the way.I had a great night with my flatmate at the pub, having a roast turkey dinner and a couple of beers. Oh, and that's another thing about here, there are so many different types of beers! Lagers, Bitters, Guinness et al. The lagers come cold, and the bitters are slightly less so (but believe me, when it's cold as it is here, the idea of a frosty beer flies out the window). I keep trying new beers, as I haven't found anything stellar yet (excuse the pun). There is a beer called "Hoegarden" which I tried last week at my friend S____'s birthday drinks, and after a couple of pints, was told that it is really strong. So on my birthday, I avoided the Hoe, and chose the beer next to it. After a couple of pints I could barely walk, and the barman told me that the beer I chose is even stronger than Hoegarden. "Whaddaya mean?", I said, with an intoxicated giggle...

Baaaaa... *bleaugh*

No comments: