Friday, December 21, 2007

The Story of Rome - Day 1

Veni, vedi, vici! I love Rome! It is a city like no other that I have spent time in.

I arrived yesterday, and have been speaking broken Italian ever since! I feel for the poor lady at the reception desk. She tries to talk to me in English, but I still spit Italian back at her. It's the fastest way to learn if I always speak it, I reason. What they say about learning a language in a country that speaks it is certainly true. it's as if someone has gone and stuck language labels all over everything. Treno... Farmacia... Fermata... Autobus... yay!

I must say that I am a little disappointed in the Romans, they seem very self-involved, and not so interested in talking to a foreigner struggling to communicate with them. But I suppose that is like most cities. Perhaps it is because I have only met Italians outside of Italy before, who have a different agenda. I expect that once I get out to Chiusi the people will be more amicable.

For those who have been wondering why there are not many photos uploaded since I arrived in London, the reason is because I lost my camera on the bus *sigh*. Luckily British Transport lost property department found it for me... *cheer*... the same day that I got on the plane for Rome. *sigh*. So I have been taking photos with my phone for the most part, but they won't be available until I get back to London, so I will add a stack of photos then.

Today I got up early, and after polishing off three courses at the breakfast buffet, I headed out to see the sights. First stop was the Colosseum, which is truly spectacular! It is the most amazing visible link with the Ancient Romans, and even today is a feat of engineering. It was difficult however to get a sense of time, as there was all kinds of modern objects amongst the ruin that interrupts that link with the past. I did feel it quite strongly though when I walking around the adjoining ruins, which were quiet, and in many parts somewhat untouched. Then I felt like a senator, walking to the forum. That was amazing.

Then it was off to the Spanish Steps for lunch, where I lay sprawled basking in the sun after eating a fresh panini. Ah happy days. Then it was off to a Renaissance art gallery near the Trevi Fountain. It was wonderful to see actual paintings which I had only ever seen in books, just hanging on the walls. And the scenes painted on the ceilings were incredible, one just looks up, and there, 20 metres above you is a depiction of God creating the angels, or Christ ascending into heaven. And the artworks themselves, sometimes the frame that holds them is more spectacular than the paintings themselves. There were portraits of Henry VIII and Thomas More, and famous pictures by Raphael. Mostly they were from the 16th Century. That's 200 years before Australia was discovered.

After that I took a long walk around, through the Circus Maximus, trying to get lost in the streets. I was surprised to find that there are still places in Rome that are beautiful, but where the only sound you hear is the sound of your own footsteps, and the echoes bouncing off the walls back at you, like a sonar shadow.

Pizza was on the menu for dinner, and now I have had a few glasses of Lambrusca, and am planning on getting some sleep. Tomorrow I conquer the Vatican! I will try for an audience with the Emperor (he does look a bit like the Emperor from Star Wars), but am not sure of my chances.

Babaa

No comments: