Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Story of the Racist

This morning I was up and about rather late, as the heater wasn't on this morning, and the temperature was -1 degree (probably colder as I didn't check until I got to work). I put on 4 layers of clothes, my scarf, gloves and jacket and shivering, went out to face the day. My place is located right next to a beautiful park, which has some lovely places to walk. Also there is a squirrel there that is very friendly and comes right up to you. I have named him Pedrolito (why not?) However I didn't see him this morning on my travels. Seems it was too cold even for poor Pedrolito.

Having got to Victoria station where I change to a bus, I found at the ticket gates that my weekly ticket had run out, and so was made to wait while everyone else went through so I could talk to the attendant. Another guy was in the same situation, so we waited together. He was friendly enough, and about 6' 7" tall! Anyway, we were given directions to go to a ticket office where we could purchase a new weekly ticket. Unfortunately the directions led us nowhere, and so we had to turn around and go back. The following conversation ensued:

M: Damn, they've sent us on a wild goose chase.
B: Yeah, it's not down this way.
M: No, let's go back and ask
B: Yeah, black bastard.
M: ???

M: It's not his fault, he's just doing his job
B: Not that guy, the black bastard that sold me this ticket.

Damn I was angry! But I haven't heard this kind of talk much in Sydney, so I didn't really have time to formulate a response apart from defending the poor ticket guy on a personal level. Honestly, I must be so sheltered in Sydney, as I don't really hear that kind of talk much. I thought in London there would be even less of that kind of thing. I guess it doesn't matter where you are, there are racist bigots everywhere.

And so, it is with some sadness that I award the "Bigot of the Month" award to this despicable person. There is no place for racism in a civilized society, and I was so mad on the train and kept thinking of all the things I should have said to that guy.

Humph.

Apart from this, my day was rather nice. Found a coffee shop guy in Notting Hill who I can practise my Italian with.


Baa baa

No comments: