Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Countryside Adventure

My last day in Rome was not very remarkable. I spent some time at the train station in the local shops. I bought a book in Italian to help me learn: "La Bussola D'Oro" ("The Golden Compass"). I have now got through the first paragraph... hmm... this may take some time.

The train ride to Chiusi was lovely. Finally got to see some real countryside. Lots of farms, vineyards and olive trees everywhere. The train dropped me off at Chiusi Scalo, where I spent an hour and a half waiting for my lift to the villa. The guys got mixed up when I said I was arriving at 14:50, they thought 4:50. Easy mistake to make. The drive to the villa was amazing however, as the little towns that one goes through are so different to anything I've seen. The only point of reference that I had was from the movies, and I felt like I was in one of the James Bond films. Octopussy I think, where they are driving around the Italian countryside in a sports car shooting at teach other. Each of these little towns are built on a hill, and based around some kind of castle or tower, which would protect the people in times of attack. Most of the buildings are very old, and made from stone or brick. The streets are cobbled and narrow, and because the town is on a hill, they go in every which direction. There is so much charm about these places, that for the most part are maintained with the integrity of the sense of time and setting.

The first day, we travelled to a working abbey which was built in the 10th century, with bona-fide monks! J___ had timed it so that we arrived just as the monks were starting a gregorian chant for the nona service! It was freezing cold inside the abbey, but the sound was so amazing, nothing I have heard is like it. The sound bounces around the abbey and seems to strike your ear from every direction at once. Once again, I felt the power and mystery of the church, and I could see how easy it would have been for people to believe in God. It is so different to any modern church. Nobody clapping hands, just monks chanting mysteriously in latin.

Christmas was spent eating some of the local specialità, like Gallonella, which is a very difficult dish involving a chicken with its guts ripped out, and then stuffed with various meats and fat. Sounds delicious, and it was! Also had tortellini braised in broth, as well as all kinds of cheeses and tasty snacks. For dessert, Panettone of course, as well as baked figs, chocolates and many other wonderful things. Later we drank port and watched movies on TV. I got spectacularly drunk drinking grappa, which is kind of like metho without the flavour, and as a result had a very sore head this morning when I left. Lucky Xmas only comes once a year.

Today I am in Firenze (Florence), and I am meeting with some friends tomorrow to have a look around.

A presto! Baaa...

1 comment:

Margaret said...

Hi. Sounds like you had a lovely christmas, glad to hear that.You will have a lot of stories to tell when you get back to London, cannot wait to ring you and hear all about the Monks and the chanting. I bet it would have been hard not to chant along with them.It is a shame it is so cold for you would enjoy it more.Where do you stay when you move around.Hope you are looking after yourself, Enjoy the rest of your holiday for they go fast. Loves yah heaps. Mum