Friday, November 23, 2007

Beverley's Travel Tips #456 - Coffee

Travelling in the United Kingdom, one really must remember that they do many things in a strange and unusual way. Like coffee.

Londoners have yet to embrace the broad swathe of coffee culture, and as such have not yet introduced the "Flat White" to their considerable menu. Don't do what I did and ask for a "Flat White", as this only serves to confuse, and you are likely to receive almost anything. In my case (at Starbucks), when I asked for a "Flat White", I received a "Long Black". Ah yes, simple to understand to the cultured Australian ear, but to the British, it is just a series of grunts and gestures.

(apologies to my British friends, of course when I say "British" I really mean "all the Brits except my British friends whom I really love and cherish")

4 comments:

Margaret said...

Hi,
trust you to order something that they did not make, you will have to educate them.
All is well over this way.
Very hot.
Loves Yah Mum

Margaret said...

Hi Michael,
I have writen this for the third time, it does not go through for some reason.
Hope this gets through, but I will never know.
Hope you are enjoying yourself so far, Loves Yah Heaps Mum

Tom Ruthven said...

Surely you're so much cloaser to Italy you should have converted to espresso dopio

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.