Saturday, November 17, 2007

The story of the first day in Hong Kong

Well. I am here. After 8 weeks of nail-biting visa tension, I am finally off and away. The flight was fairly uneventful, but I could choose any movie I liked so I watched 'Hairspray' and 'Evan Almighty'. Not bad. The kosher meal was great!


The insane crowds of people flocking the streetsToday I got up and had breakfast with Bean, which was interesting. It was a kind of deep-fried bread wrapped in rice noodle, with fried noodles on the side... not sounding too healthy, but was delicious. And a bargain too at only about $4.50. After that it was time to hit the shops. I went looking for a USB hub for my laptop, and ended up with two new warm tops (so cheap, and I am going to London after all).


Bean's parents and meThen I met Bean and his parents for Yum-Cha, where I was promptly handed back my passport which I had left in Paul's car the night before on the way in from the airport. Whoops. (But don't worry mum, that kind of thing doesn't happen too often, I'm normally much better organised). After that I took a rattly old double-decker tram down to happy valley to watch the horse races. On the way back, I came through Sogo, which was awash with people. It is so hard to explain unless you have been in a big sea of people like that what it is like. People everywhere! There is just so much happening that it is quite overwhelming. There are people handing out pamphlets everywhere, and people shouting, cars honking, construction noise, trams dinging; really it was a cacophany of sound. So much so that by the time I got back to the flat, I felt exhausted.


Tonight it is off to dinner, and then am staying at my friend Vincent's place in Repulse Bay (on the South side of the island). Having a great time!


=:) baaa

No comments: